Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not self employed but cant fix turbo tax saying Iam

2 Replies

If you have a Netfile Error saying you are Self-Employed, TurboTax is unable to "remove" this for you. You'll need to address the issue and remove the Error prior to attempting to NetFile again.

Most often this error occurs when you have an amount in Box 20 or 48 of a T4A slip.

If you do not have a T4A with an amount in Box 20 or 48, you likely have a T3 slip creating this "error" message.

The CRA considers amounts in Box 24 of the T3 as business income and those amounts are transferred over to Line 135 of the T1 General Tax Return.

If you entered a T3 slip in your return with an amount in Box 24, you must specify the province of Self-Employment even though you do not have a business. You can click "Fix" and "Applies to Me" on this error message, then enter your own province of residence as the province of self-employment.

DavenKat
Returning Member

Same errors are coming up fro me as well. No matter what I do, it keeps giving me the same error message. TurboTax keeps toggling me on to "self-employed". I am NOT self-employed and I didn't click anything that would give TurboTax the idea that I was. I have done everything suggested, but nothing is working. What a waste of time... :(

Fix Error:

Your province of self-employment is different from your province of residence. TTO does not support Multijurisdictional returns. Review your entries.