Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I overcome a problem of Turbo Tax being unable to download tax info from CRA?

I tried for two days to download tax slip information from CRA and I couldn't - keep getting Err 21. I have no issues logging into CRA account. Last year I had the same issue over and over again. This is something TurboTax needs to fix as obviously it is a common problem. I am not buying this software for 2024 if this doesn't get fixed this year. 

How can I overcome a problem of Turbo Tax being unable to download tax info from CRA?

A previous client called the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) at 1-800-959-8281 and a Technical Services representative was able to help them resolve this issue. As per @LLM2581  "It is  a very simple fix at their end.  If "web services" in not turned on within MY Account, you will receive the error message 021 and you will not be able to download the data.  I did spend about 30 minutes (once I spoke to a live CRA agent) for them to troubleshoot and resolve the issue.  I tried it while she was on the phone and the transfer took less than a minute."

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

kiki20221

I have the same issue and I can not talk to CRA agent today

Any one has the same issue and how you can fix this

When filing a spousal these next directions need to be followed.

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Preparing a tax return for a family member or a friend

Individuals can also use Auto-fill my return on behalf of a family member. If you prepare a tax return for a family member or a friend, you need to:

• be authorized by your family member or friend to use Auto-fill my return on their behalf. You will need a RepID, which you can get through the Represent a Client portal. The RepID identifies you with the CRA.
  • give your RepID to your family member or friend so they can authorize you as their representative through their My Account. For more information on authorizing a representative, go to Authorize or cancel a representative.
  • once you are authorized, you can use Auto-fill my return to access their tax information and file a return for them.

Each individual should enter their own CRA user ID and password to use this service. Auto-fill my return can be used for the current tax filing year plus the previous six tax years.

That's just pushing the problem to to end user that Intuit should be resolving with CRA. If I could actually talk to someone at CRA, I would, but it took days of calling before I could talk to someone. At the end of the day, Intuit should be getting CRA to enable the web services setting required for the service to work not asking the end users to call CRA on individual basis. Otherwise don't advertise a feature that may or may not work depending on some obscure setting that only CRA administrator had access to change. 

Unfortunately Auto-fill is the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)'s application and program. The rules and regulations of using it is what the CRA requests. Thank you for your feedback, we value your opinion and will share this information with the proper TurboTax team.

Same issue here. Long time user of TurboTax.  Efiled and downloaded T-slips successfully for many years (ever since that functionality was added).  I can successfully login to my CRA account with a login partner.  When I  TurboTax tries to connect to CRA to download T-slips, I get error code 021.  I have double-checked Access code.

I echo what others have said.  The TurboTax support agent does not read the posts of the person that they are trying to help.  For example, the thread is clearly about "downloading" T-slips.  TurboTax support offers advice about how to "upload T-slips" accompanied by a broken link.

Come on TurboTax support.  Do better.  Product has always worked in the past so I forked out the money every year.  This year I share the frustration of your other users.  I have wasted hours of my precious time, including hours spent on hold with CRA support. This might be the last year for TurboTax renewal for me.  Pencil and paper still works

We have customers who contacted the CRA that were getting error code 021 and the following is what needed to be done. 

ERR.021 can only be resolved by Revenue Canada Technical Resource staff (i.e. you cannot fix this issue yourself in My Account.). Here are the steps:

1. Call Revenue Canada at 1-800-959-8281. 
  2. Select Option 1 (questions and issues pertaining to My Account). This will take you to a technical resource.
  3. Indicate that you are receiving ERR.021 when you try to transfer data from My Account into Turbotax.
  4. Indicate that other individuals have indicated that this issue is caused by: "web services are not turned on".
  5. Revenue Canada will ask you to confirm your identity by asking for your SIN; and bank account data; or have other questions to confirm that you are who you say that you are.
  6. Wait on the line while they have a look at your account.
  7. The HelpDesk staff will either resolve, or he/she will transfer you to a more senior resource depending on their knowledge of this issue.
  8. Once your Web Services Flag has been turned on, if you wish, the HelpDesk staff will wait while you go into Turbotax and access the function to "Import Tax Data from CRA".

In summary, this issue can be readily resolved by Revenue Canada Technical resource staff simply by "turning on"  a flag on MY Account to allow for the transfer of data from MY Account into Turbotax.