Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
girl09

Your program only splits one pension, not two as per T4A and per T4-RCA, Both pensions are eligble for splitting but the Optimizer only accepts one. How to fix?

11 Replies

Your program only splits one pension, not two as per T4A and per T4-RCA, Both pensions are eligble for splitting but the Optimizer only accepts one. How to fix?

Only one joint election to split pension can be made for a tax year. If both spouses/common-law partners have eligible pension income, they will have to decide who will act as the transferring spouse/common-law partner and who will be the receiving spouse/common-law partner.

girl09

When one spouse has two pensions eligible for pension splitting (and the other spouse has none) your program only allows splitting one. CRA does not accept putting the two together when one is a T4A and the other one is a T4-RCA. How to proceed? 

Was the spouse who's pension is going to be split 65 or older at the end of 2023? Is their an amount on the T4-RCA in box 17?

Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

girl09

Yes, my spouse is over 65, Box 17 on the RCA lists the full amount of the pension as eligible for pension splitting. There is no doubt that both pensions are eligble for splitting as I have done so succesfully for 4 years.  I use your online version (Premier) .  When I delete the T4A , the program splits the pension of the RCA correctly . When I delete the RCA the program splits the T4A correctly but it will not split both when both are entered. Is this a problem with your software or am I doing something wrong? Also, will your download version have the same problem?  Thanks for your help. 

There may be a difference this year in the allowed pension to be split if your spouse was under 65 last year. Please see this link from the Canada Revenue Agency: Eligible Pension and Annuity Income (less than 65 years of age) If he has just become 65 in 2023, you may not be allowed to claim a certain amount as seen at the CRA.

If you still need help with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email say NO then say "speak to a representative" then hold the line.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

girl09

Thanks Ginette, 

My spouse is well over 65, both pensions are eligble for splitting, your online program accepts them individually but not  both. If you would do a dry run you can see this for yourself. Can you please tell me if your download version has the same issue? 

I have already spoken to one of your representatives and he was useless. 

If you are unsatisfied by the representative, please ask for an escalation. Due to this being a public forum we cannot share screen and information, therefore, we cannot duplicate your situation without knowing the amounts and the boxes used on the slip or other entries in your return. It is important to duplicate what is in your return. Please call our telephone support team to resolve this and help you. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

girl09

Many people on this forum have had the same question, yet you have never provided anything more than stock answers. I think you would do well to really look into this and do a trial run with the software of your online version. Does your download version have the same problem?

It seems like our return is also having a difficulty at using both pensions at the same time, although we cannot duplicate your return without knowing all of the entries which we do not have access to. It may not only be about the two slips, another entry elsewhere in the return or different boxes than your information slips could be responsible for the issue. We believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email say NO then say "speak to a representative" then hold the line. If the issue is not resolved please ask for an escalation.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.