Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Desktop Turbo Tax 2022 --> File --> import tax data from CRA" is grayed out. Why?

I did receive the follow-up email from Bushra at customer support.  The link she told me contradicted what she told me.  It was the CRA info page that I had already quoted her. It addresses efiling and t1135s,which are down until the 20th.  The very same link states that autofill is down from the 3rd to 6th of February.  (and as I mentioned, I accessed it this week for 2021.)

I hope this gets referred to someone who understands the difference between efile,t1135s, and CRA autofill.

Good luck, everyone!

"Desktop Turbo Tax 2022 --> File --> import tax data from CRA" is grayed out. Why?

@jwk476 Yes, the Auto-Fill service is operational at the CRA, but it will not be available in TurboTax until February 20th. We have let the development team know that they need to update the banner in TurboTax Online.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

What about the Turbo Tax 2022 CD version? it doesn't even have a button for AFR. Are you guys going to fix that as well? It is very important for thousands of Turbo Tax users.

@enadeem The button will be enabled on the 20th, with the update that opens up NETFILE and printing.

Thank you for this information.  

On a side note , I have been using this software for longer than I can remember and we have never encountered this prior , perhaps what ever changed in the process should be revisited. 

Thankfully it's  Monday, because many of us will need to estimate for the purpose of RSP's and with out the information would just simply be guessing. 

I appreciate the quick reponse.

I agree with you and appreciate the quick response. I too have been a long time user, for over a couple of decades, and never had any problems. I think it was an error at Turbo Tax while developing 2022 software, especially as someone in this forum said that they were able to use the AFR a few days ago for 2021 return.  If that is the case, I would have appreciated Turbo Tax coming clean at the first enquiry admitting fault, and not blamed CRA. Would have saved a lot of anxiety and wasted time. I hope it works on Feb 20.

Update:  Yes, Netfile is functional today.  

No, we cannot IMPORT tax data from CRA/RQ.

Upon opening Turbotax there is a message saying it is functional, but it is still grayed.  

a) Import tax data was functional on the Revenue Canada side since the 6th of February, as per a document sent to me by a Turbotax rep.  I used it for 2021 last week, confirming the availability of the service.

b) we were told that a Turbotax update would finally allow access today.  The program checked for updates when it opened, and I rechecked for updates, but the Import Tax Data function remains inaccessible as it is grayed.

This does not inspire confidence in the product, and it basically shows that their customer service is of little use if you have a problem.  

To Enadeem, if you go to File in the top left, Import tax data form CRA is just above Page Setup, Print, NETFILE.

Both Import tax data and NETFILE are gray, so you can't access them.  I used Netfile this morning for other years, so it is really Turbotax that is holding us all back.

I have the CD version... if you don't see it, try updating from the middle of the Help section.

With no luck throughout the day, I happened across another thread, "What tax slips can I download through the CRA's Auto-fill my return service?"

It reads as solved by TurboTax, updated Oct 27 2022:

For tax season 2022, you can start to import certain slips and other info from the CRA directly into your TurboTax return using the Auto-fill my return service starting on March 15, 2023.

So it seems that no one with TurboTax seems to know what is going on.  

But congrats to all of us who paid full price for a program with limited capabilities!

Happy typing.

Greg8833

The CRA import button worked for me after I closed and reopened the TurboTax software on February 23, 2023