Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to file Foreign rental property with Foreign tax credit

Using TurboTax for more than 6 years. Usually I filed my foreign rental income with T776 and claiming the foreign Tax credit withT2209 by filling Foreign Slip with Other Income (which will not add up to my Income).

This year, it adds to my total income which doubling my rental.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have contacted the support team and the conclusion is "Turbo Tax does not handle foreign rental income with foreign tax credit".

If you have foreign rental income and pay tax for the rental income to that country, do not use Turbo Tax.

My problem is solved by returning my software back to them.

View solution in original post

The worst is TURBO TAX refused to refund.

Worst customer support.

View solution in original post

34 Replies

Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

Yes, I am using TurboTax download (not from CD)

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. 

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Please let the support team tell me the steps how to report it, otherwise it looks like a bug in the software and no one wants to fix it.

By the way, I don't want anyone to access my screen, the information is personal.

If TurboTax is not going to fix the problem and I am not able to file my returns, may I have a refund? I don't want to pay $85 for a software that I cannot use it.

I have found another software, which allows me to enter foreign income (non-T slip) and foreign tax, so that the rental income will not be calculated twice in T1.

Without viewing your return, we cannot give you complete and accurate directions or rectify a problem without reviewing your entries. Here are the instructions we can give you below.

When using TurboTax Premier Online - To claim foreign rental property income and expenses you will go under "Income" and click on "Rental Properties". You will get to the Rental profile and you will check off both "Rental Income" and "Rental Expenses" then continue.

Rental Income will be the next page T776 which you will complete as follows-     For "Foreign Rental Property" enter your Canadian home postal code for the "Postal Code" for the property and your home province for the "Province".   In the "Address" for the property, fill out as much of the property's address as will fit, including the equivalent of the postal code (such as a ZIP code for US addresses). Note that the CRA's NETILFE/EFILE servers will accept only the first 30 characters of the address.  Continue to the next page which is the Rental Expenses.  *Be sure to enter the amounts in Canadian dollars".

Foreign Tax Credit form (T2209).

• To locate the Foreign Tax Credit form, go under the "Deductions" tab - "Payments Profile" - "Foreign Tax Credit"  enter in the Foreign Real Property boxes.
  • Alternately, you can use the "Find" icon at the top right corner of your screen and type in "Foreign Tax Credit"

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

• To locate the Foreign Tax Credit form, go under the "Deductions" tab - "Payments Profile" - "Foreign Tax Credit"  enter in the Foreign Real Property boxes.

Both boxes " the Real Estate Income and Real Estate Tax paid " are protected, when you double click the field, the system brings you to T5013 form. This form has nothing to do with foreign property income.

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. 

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I try to contact Turbo Tax support team and they ask support ID. Where can I find my support ID?

If you don't have a support ID, you can just tell the answering machine what you are calling about. ex: if you have a tax problem, just say "tax return question".

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.