Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
conanchu

I'm using TurboTax Standard. I have foreign employment income not taxable due to a tax treaty. Do I report it in "Income From Sources Outside Canada" or "Foreign Income"?

I am a Canadian citizen/resident currently employed outside Canada.  My foreign employment income isn't supposed to be taxable in Canada (to avoid getting double-taxed) due to a tax treaty between Canada and the country I am working in.  TurboTax Standard doesn't allow me to see what entries correspond to which lines in the standard tax package (such as Line 104 or Line 256), so I'm unsure as to whether I should be declaring my foreign income in TurboTax Standard in the "Foreign Income" section or the "Income from Sources Outside of Canada" section.  I'm also not clear on whether I should be entering the amounts converted into CAD or if I should be entering them in the currency of the country I am working in.

1 Reply

I'm using TurboTax Standard. I have foreign employment income not taxable due to a tax treaty. Do I report it in "Income From Sources Outside Canada" or "Foreign Income"?

We're sorry for any inconvenience to you.  Please use the following FAQ to contact customer support.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3152013