Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I include Property Tax paid, the text indicates property on a reserve, my house is not on a reserve.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Where do I include Property Tax paid, the text indicates property on a reserve, my house is not on a reserve.

Enter the amount(s) paid for rent, property tax, home energy costs for a principal residence on a reserve, and/or accommodation in a public long-term care home.

It sounds confusing, but there are commas used to separate the 4 items.

Enter the amount(s) (paid for rent), (property tax), (home energy costs for a principal residence on a reserve), and/or (accommodation in a public long-term care home).

You still enter your property tax here, the home energy cost is for properties on the reserve.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Enter the amount(s) paid for rent, property tax, home energy costs for a principal residence on a reserve, and/or accommodation in a public long-term care home.

It sounds confusing, but there are commas used to separate the 4 items.

Enter the amount(s) (paid for rent), (property tax), (home energy costs for a principal residence on a reserve), and/or (accommodation in a public long-term care home).

You still enter your property tax here, the home energy cost is for properties on the reserve.

I agree that this sentence is confusing.

It should be structured this way to be less confusing:

Enter the amount(s) paid for:

• rent
  • property tax
  • home energy costs for a principal residence on a reserve
  • accommodation in a public long-term care home.

@johndavidlugtu

Thank you for your input. I will pass on your comments to our product development team.

nishant8721
Returning Member

what do you mean by "Home Energy Cost on a reserve in Ontario". If I stay in a rented apartment and pay for energy costs on monthly basis. Do I need to capture that information while filing up a provisional tax profile?

Is the amount paid for rent, per month or for the whole year?

@nishant8721 - You will fill this section and you may be eligible for the Northern Ontario Energy Credit (NOEC) if:

• you were a resident of Northern Ontario on December 31, 2021, and one of the following conditions applies:
    • you will be 18 years of age or older before June 1, 2023;
    • you had a spouse or common-law partner on or before December 31, 2021; or
    • you are a parent who lives or previously lived with your child; and
  • for 2021, at least one of the following conditions applies:
    • rent or property tax on your principal residence in Northern Ontario was paid by or for you;
    • you lived in a public long-term care home in Northern Ontario and an amount for accommodation was paid by or for you; or
    • you lived on a reserve in Northern Ontario and home energy costs (for example, electricity, heat) were paid by or for you for your principal residence on the reserve.

Northern Ontario means the districts of Algoma, Cochrane, Kenora, Manitoulin, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Rainy River, Sudbury (including the City of Greater Sudbury), Thunder Bay, and Timiskaming.

@psoladoye Yes, the amount would be for the whole year if you lived there for 12 months.

You will include how many months you lived in that apartment or house and multiply the amount x the months you included. 

1- lived there 6 months and paid $1200 per month, rent will be included as Number of months 6 and Amount paid in 2021 $7200 

2- lived there 12 months and paid $1000 per month mortgage will be included as Number of months 12 and Amount paid in 2021 $12000 

Thank you for using TurboTax.