Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As a self employed contractor do I include mileage expenses I was reimbursed for as Professional Fees (with my other fees)? If so can I still claim auto expenses?

3 Replies

As a self employed contractor do I include mileage expenses I was reimbursed for as Professional Fees (with my other fees)? If so can I still claim auto expenses?

Yes, you can still claim auto expenses, but only those that were not reimbursed. You can enter the reimbursements as Professional fees or as other income (Line 8230).

Thanks for your answer.  I'll include the reimbursements for mileage (along with my professional fees).  I was also planning to fill out the vehicle expenses section on TurboTax in case I would qualify for any further automotive expense deductions.  I'm wondering if there's a way to explain the amount I was reimbursed for so that TurboTax could then calculate if any credit is owing.  That said, since it was based on $0.61/km (which I believe is the maximum amount the CRA allows), I suspect there would be no additional tax credit owing. Thoughts?

Please only enter on your expenses, the percentage that is not already covered or reimbursed.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.