Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dultsev

Does anyone know how I can claim "Work-Space in the Home Expenses" for two locations? I moved during the year and Turbotax just lets me claim the amount for one property.

15 Replies

Does anyone know how I can claim "Work-Space in the Home Expenses" for two locations? I moved during the year and Turbotax just lets me claim the amount for one property.

Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

Following this as I have the same issue. I had rented for part of the year then owned for the remainder. I can't figure out how to input this into Turbo Tax. (download version)

Are you an employee or claiming expenses for your business?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I am an employee. My employer has provided a T2200.

Was the rental and the owned place the same or did you move? Was it the same employer through it all?

Sorry, I was just following the original poster's question, so hadn't been very complete.

I am an employee - same employer all year. I do have a T2200 form. 

I rented an apartment for 11 months.

I then moved into my own home for 1 month.

I ended up doing two T777 forms but don't think that's right?

Please see this Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) link for instructions: Home office expenses for employees

Yes, I read that and I did calculate out 2 separate amounts. But how do I input that in Turbo Tax? Do I use two T777 forms? The easy step doesn't allow for 2. 

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) also has this information below.  You can enter home expenses as seen in the image below in Easy Step.

Change of work space

If you use different work spaces in your home, or you move to a new property, you will need to claim the expenses you paid for each work space separately. This is due to changes in the size and type of the work space, or finished area of the home.

Example: Moving between two homes

Jean-François worked from home full-time from April 1 to July 15, 2023 and then returned to work full-time at the office. During these 15 weeks, he met all the eligibility criteria.

Jean-François lived in property A until June 30, 2023 and moved to property B on July 1, 2023.

• Calculation 1: April 1 to June 30, 2023 (Consider the deductible expenses paid during that period, the type of work space, its size, and the size of the total finished space that relates to property A)
  • plus Calculation 2: July 1 to July 15, 2023 (Consider the deductible expenses paid during that period, the type of work space, its size, and the size of the total finished space that relates to property B)
  • equals Total expenses Jean-François can claim in 2023