Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the "self-employed" turbo tax version allow to file taxes separately: my wife's now and mine later on? or does it have to be done all at once?

My wife is employed and I'm self employed. My wife is ready to file but it will take me a bit longer to finish my paper work. Since her deadline is April 30 but mine is June 15, can we use the same self-employed turbo tax account to file separately?
2 Replies

Does the "self-employed" turbo tax version allow to file taxes separately: my wife's now and mine later on? or does it have to be done all at once?

Yes, you can prepare your returns separately. Also, if you are using TurboTax Online, you don’t need to use the same version – this is only necessary if you are preparing your returns together. So if your wife only needs Standard, then she can use that while you use Self-Employed.

We do have Turbo Tax online (self-employeed). Do you mean that my wife needs to purchase the standard version to file now, and then I can still use the self-employeed version to file my return later on? The same self-employeed version account cannot be used to file in two different times, correct?