Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the doctor's fee for filling out form T2201 worth the hassle of govnmt reassessment?

My daughter has Type 1 Diabetes and I have benefits that cover the cost of prescriptions. She doesn't have any restrictions with daily functions.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is the doctor's fee for filling out form T2201 worth the hassle of govnmt reassessment?

Hi

The T2201 if approved by CRA allows a transfer of the child's disability tax credit to a parent.  It is a non-refundable credit, so its worth is primarily based on whether you have taxable income each year.  The maximum transfer (some of the child's information may reduce this) for a child under 18 is $12,506.  The Federal Credit is $12506 X 15 % = $ 1875.90.  The Provincial credit would be based on your province of residence. 

If you / your spouse are taxable, then yes, then I suggest it is worth the fee to have the form completed. 

Christine

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Hi

The T2201 if approved by CRA allows a transfer of the child's disability tax credit to a parent.  It is a non-refundable credit, so its worth is primarily based on whether you have taxable income each year.  The maximum transfer (some of the child's information may reduce this) for a child under 18 is $12,506.  The Federal Credit is $12506 X 15 % = $ 1875.90.  The Provincial credit would be based on your province of residence. 

If you / your spouse are taxable, then yes, then I suggest it is worth the fee to have the form completed. 

Christine