Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregWaterloo
Returning Member

How do I remove a business profile - I am not self employeed. I have never been self employeed

In trying to figure out another issue, I inadvertently created a business profile that indicates I am self employeed. I am not self employeed and I have not been in the past. 

How do I remove the business profile so that it doesn't get sent to CRA when I file? I know one exists because when I hit the review step I am getting an error saying that I have not specified the province for the business.

2 Replies

How do I remove a business profile - I am not self employeed. I have never been self employeed

Hello @GregWaterloo 

Go back in the Income section, under Self-Employment, you will see the Self-Employment Summary. Go on that page and please review the Business(es) entered. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax

Magalie B.

GregWaterloo
Returning Member

Yea, that doesn't work.

The reason why I was getting flagged as having foreign income is because some box on a T3 was filled out in a way that the government says must mean that I have a business. That's all fine, but TurboTax handles it in a very unsatisfactory way. There was no indication that this is what was going on and no indication of what to do about it. 

In fact, I would say that Turbo Tax was very misleading when it said that I had indicated that I had self employment income. Filling a box does not, to me, mean that I indicated that I have self employment income. The messaging within TurboTax should have been much better than it was to describe the situation. 

There were just too many things that went wrong this year. I am going to be evaluating other options next year.