Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a T2200 for auto expenses. Turbotax won't let me claim Covid home expenses via the Temporary Flat Rate method. Forces me into the detailed claim. Workaround ?

3 Replies
Gwbaron09

I have a T2200 for auto expenses. Turbotax won't let me claim Covid home expenses via the Temporary Flat Rate method. Forces me into the detailed claim. Workaround ?

I'm having the same issue.  Using Standard the support is limited and seemingly claiming the Temporary Flat Rate Method is not possible with Turbo tax.  If so, I can't find a solution and would like to see Turbo Tax publish the work around to this...

I am disappointed with Turbotax.  After an hour on their help line I was told the format was the  the Gov'ts requirement.  As far as I know there is no intention to fix and the call was marked as complete with no follow-on.   I tried some creative solutions and the software flaged as not possible.   At the end of the day, I've submitted and it's cost me money as I was unable to claim - The full method is known to come up with lower values.   So much for the Turbotax guarantee.  I couldn't take advantage of a vaild tax deduction.  They should be ashamed. 

Gwbaron09

Agreed on the manual calcs.  I've worked in the contract world and the % of my home used for my office is low and don't see it worth the effort to complete the detailed form.  Looks like I (and everybody else who subscribes to this service) will be leaving a $400 deduction off the table due to Turbo Tax limitations.  Too much time invested to start over with a new service provider this year, but will be doing so next year. 

Does anybody with Turbo Tax monitor this Community???  Seems to me the fix isn't that difficult, create a page/form in the Deductions section, select enter number of days x $2 (or) select max of $400.  Glad I didn't subscribe to the supported level, would have cost me almost as much as I could have saved with the deduction, which apparently I would have been told I couldn't submit it with this software.