Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I require teacher training to start a business. Is the training tax deductible? If so, what are the steps? Do I need business number set up before I do the training?

I have a business number from when I did contract work a number of years ago and was going to change this number over to the new business that I am thinking of doing.  I am wondering if I need to do this before I do any training that is required for the business? Also, I require the training in order to run the business, provide a service to clients.  Is the training itself tax deductible even though I am doing the training before I am making any business revenue? If so, what are the steps needed to do so?

2 Replies

I require teacher training to start a business. Is the training tax deductible? If so, what are the steps? Do I need business number set up before I do the training?

If you need the training to acquire a skill that you don’t currently have, then the CRA would consider the training a “Capital” expense. You would not be able to deduct the cost of a capital expense. https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/it357r2/archived-ex...

However, if your training is eligible, you might be able to get some deductions and credits as a student. https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/segments/students/common-deductions...

sparkfire9
Returning Member

Hi,

I took 3 training and obtain forklift certificate/license with how can i deduct this. without this training/certificate the employer would not accept me in the job. I am not self-employed income is T4, I was not reimbursed. Its total cost is around $775. 

Thanks,

sparkfire