Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to claim my home office expenses for working from home. Do I fill out BOTH sections of Turbotax (ENTIRE home expenses PLUS the office space only?)

Hello, i need some clarification, i work from home salaried employeed i was given t2200. 

I am living on rent, and want to claim the rent and also my internet fees, where do i claim this?

Under employment expense profile do i select Other Employment Expenses or Office in Home Expenses

once i click either or where do i add my rent and internet? For example if i click office in home expense, i choose 3 bedroom and office space is one bedroom

so my office portion usage is 33% - so under other do i write rent and for zero rated/exempt do I write the monthly that the 33% came out to be or do i times that by 12 to add for the whole year? please advise the software is not so user friendly

I want to claim my home office expenses for working from home. Do I fill out BOTH sections of Turbotax (ENTIRE home expenses PLUS the office space only?)

You can claim under Office in Home Expenses. You can claim all of the rent you paid for the year under zero/rated & exempt,  You can include your internet along with heating, etc. under HST if this is the taxes you paid on your bill. The software will calculate the percentage allowed according to the rooms you have entered. If you have a kitchen, 3 bedrooms, bathroom and living room and you used one bedroom, you would say you have 6 rooms and are using one for work space.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

apnc6041

@TurboTaxGinette @TurboTaxSusan  Hello Team, I am bit confused as where to enter rent portion into work from home in expense. I am a salaried employee and worked from home  for entire year.  I am renting 2 BR apartment where I have made one room as office. Per my understanding total rooms will be 2 BB + 1 Kitchen + 1 Living + 1 Bathroom = 5 . And hence I enter  total rooms as 5 and 1 room for office use.

I ONLY SEE BELOW OPTIONS TO ENTER INFO, BUT NOT FOR THE RENT and Internet amount. Do we need to use Other Specify section? If yes, then how to use one field for putting two amounts?

Maintenance

Other, specify:

Electricity, heat, and water

Rent will go under "Other" - Entire home expense - Zero-rated and exempt. 

Internet will go under "Other"-Entire home expense- (enter the amount under the tax that is paid on it).

pggas

So for Alectra if the bill for the year is 1000 dollars where do I put it - GST coluumn, HST or Zero rated ? 

same for Enbridge and Water ?

@pggas You would enter the amount based on what kind of sales tax you paid.

SB135

Hello, 

I'm struggling on where to put my GST Taxable/HST taxable

I use 10% of my home for working from home full time. I use Hydro, Internet, Heat/AC. 

I also have Maintenance done to the room.  Do I put total costs somewhere?

I'm so confused lol if anyone can help please! 

Are you self-employed or an employee?

Jes15

How can I tell what kind of tax I was charged?

@Jes15 Look at your receipts.