Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to claim my home office expenses for working from home. Do I fill out BOTH sections of Turbotax (ENTIRE home expenses PLUS the office space only?)

15 Replies

I want to claim my home office expenses for working from home. Do I fill out BOTH sections of Turbotax (ENTIRE home expenses PLUS the office space only?)

Are you an employee working from home or are you self-employed with a business using a home office?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I am an employee working from home (not self employed, not sure why that was tagged). Using a bedroom as home office in my home. 

It would depend on what expense you have. If you enter something in the "Expenses which you incurred for the entire home", then the expense will be prorated based on the amount of your home that you use for your work. If you put something in the "Expenses which you incurred for office space only (not for entire home)", then the whole expense will be deducted.

This helps! 
ok so I only fill in one or the other. 

Next question- I’m entering my electricity amount, as well as my internet amount. 

So I would enter the entire amount for each expense (ie. electricity for entire home is 2000$ - do I enter in the ENTIRE home section, 2000$ or do I enter only the portion for the room - ie. if room is 10 percent of home size, then enter 200$ in this block for entire home expense?) 

You can fill in both sections, if you have something for both. Or only the bottom part if you have an expense that you only use for your work space and not for personal use in the rest of the house.

If you enter an expense in "Expenses which you incurred for the entire home", then you would put in the entire amount for the whole house. The program will calculate what part can be deducted based on the amount of the home you use for work.  So you would enter $2000 and then TurboTax will reduce it to $200.

My question expands on the working from home expenses. For hydro example I have a yearly total of 2670. What column do I put that in (GST Taxable, HST Taxable, Zero Rated & Exempt). I only have that and internet, so I am wanting to make sure I am putting it in the right place. 

@jodimartyhood You would enter the amount based on what kind of sales tax you paid.

Ok, that's where I put it. Once I put those in, do I do anything else, or does the system calculate everything for me? 

@jodimartyhood Yes. If you've filled out all the needed info on the page, then TurboTax will do any needed calculations.