Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay-Eff

If an investment is listed under my name and I decide to share 80% or 100% of it with my spouse (my income is higher), do I need to complete another T3 or T5 entry?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If an investment is listed under my name and I decide to share 80% or 100% of it with my spouse (my income is higher), do I need to complete another T3 or T5 entry?

As a rule, if an investment tax slip is issued in one spouse's name only, the income is entered entirely on that spouse's tax return. If you are sharing this income with your spouse, only enter the tax slip "once" and specify on that slip the percentage that is being reported on the spouse's return. 

According to CRA Attribution rules, what you need to do is determine who contributed to the investment and what percentage. You report the interest earned in the same proportion as the funds that were contributed into the account that earned the income. So if these were "your" funds, then you would claim the income on the T3 & T5 slips 100% in your name, even if both names are on the tax slip.

You cannot change the amounts strictly for tax advantages, and you should continue to report it with the same percentages each year, as changing this each year can trigger a review and possible reassessment from CRA.  Generally spouse's claim 50/50.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

As a rule, if an investment tax slip is issued in one spouse's name only, the income is entered entirely on that spouse's tax return. If you are sharing this income with your spouse, only enter the tax slip "once" and specify on that slip the percentage that is being reported on the spouse's return. 

According to CRA Attribution rules, what you need to do is determine who contributed to the investment and what percentage. You report the interest earned in the same proportion as the funds that were contributed into the account that earned the income. So if these were "your" funds, then you would claim the income on the T3 & T5 slips 100% in your name, even if both names are on the tax slip.

You cannot change the amounts strictly for tax advantages, and you should continue to report it with the same percentages each year, as changing this each year can trigger a review and possible reassessment from CRA.  Generally spouse's claim 50/50.

So if I select 50% as my percentage on a T3, do I enter the same information for my spouse and select 50% as well or does the program only require one entry as there is only one name on the T3 slip.  Contributions came from a joint account so 50% is correct.

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

Whether you use the TTO or the TTD, if you are filing your return with your spouse together, the software will transfer the information to the spouse return when you enter %50 in the "your share" or " your spouse share" box. 

So you don't have to enter this slip again in your spouse's return. 

I hope this was helpful

Footnote:

We at TurboTax want to encourage you and your close family to take all necessary precautions to ensure your safety. Please review the articles provided below for more information during these difficult times:

What to know about COVID-19 and Your Taxes.

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/what-to-know-about-covid-19-and-your-taxes-11110

Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/economic-response-plan.html

COVID-19: Tax Info Centre

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/tax-topics/help/covid-19-tax-info-centre/01/1335957#M...

Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB)

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/canada-emergency-response-benefit-cerb-11165