Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tcmalo

I have a question regarding "intrest expenses" and "Paid to aquire partnership" sections on the form

I have a loan which i used to purchase partnership shares in the company. In 2015 I payed $18,750,00 for interest on my loan for $625,000.00. I payed a principle amount of $125,000.00 with the total combined payout of $143,750.00
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a question regarding "intrest expenses" and "Paid to aquire partnership" sections on the form

If the purpose of the loan is to earn income, the interest is deductible.  If buying into the partnership provides financial opportunity such as a partnership agreement that provides for the division of profits, then the CRA purpose test would be met.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If the purpose of the loan is to earn income, the interest is deductible.  If buying into the partnership provides financial opportunity such as a partnership agreement that provides for the division of profits, then the CRA purpose test would be met.