Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pboitch

Accrual method: how to properly report small business expenses

For me is not clear how to properly report business expenses in some situations using accrual method of accounting. I will use 5 domain names as an example.

Every year I pay for domain names renewal. Payment date is June 01. Domains valid for 1 year. If I paid on June 01, 2014  $100 for domain renewal and it covers period from 06/01/2014 until 05/31/2015  then how should I report expenses?
a) all 100$ s/b reported as 2014 expenses?  Because it's paid in full in 2014?
b) only portion of year 2014 from amount paid can be reported as expenses (7 month == around $58) and the rest should be reported as 2015 tax year income? (100-58=$42 go to 2015?). Because part of domain effective during 2014 year and part of effective period in 2015 year? 

Thank you!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

To properly claim this expense when using the accrual method, use option B.  For more info on prepaid expenses please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/slprtnr/bsnssxpnss/prpd-eng.html

View solution in original post

8 Replies
fuzzy

To properly claim this expense when using the accrual method, use option B.  For more info on prepaid expenses please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/slprtnr/bsnssxpnss/prpd-eng.html

While prepaid expenses are a consideration, and depending on whether the user is reporting full years, the matching principle is of interest in this situation.  It is not entirely appropriate either, to claim a year's worth of expenses on 6 months worth of income.  I would still recommend this as previously posted.  The amounts are not significant either way.
fuzzy

As some  say,  6 of one....half a dozen of another   : )
pboitch

Thanks to everyone! I think this is logical. That is how I have been done it until now but this year I started to dig into details and was confused by CRA statement "deduct expenses in the fiscal period you incur them" that made me thinking should I apply whole expenses when I paid. However, I rather agree that matching principle is the main reason for accrual method so I better to continue with the option B though it requires much more work. Thanks again to everyone.

Only the expenses that relate to the calendar year for proprietors need be reported.  You will end up with a full year of expenses any way as the first year has June to December and the second year has January to June and June to December.

You have asked the same question 3 times.  If you are having trouble finding your questions, click on your name and you will find them.
pboitch

There are not the same questions but totally different ones. Income and Deductions subjects are not the same.

As for this particular question - I appreciate your effort to answer. Unfortunately, this answer is not complete and quite general. That is why I asked questions with examples and did not mix all subjects. I understand that _eventually_ all expenses for domain names will be applied. The question was should I apply whole amount in 2014 or I must calculate only portion of amount based on how many days domain names active in 2014 and apply that portion to 2014 tax year expenses; then the portion of domain expenses for domains being active in 2015 apply in 2015.

You will only get a complete answer from a CRA representative.  The problem there is that you still may get two different answers from two different representatives.