Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I write off work expenses?

4 Replies

If you are NOT self-employed, you want to follow the steps below on TurboTax Online

1. Go to the top right of your return and click on "Find"
  2. Type "Employment Expenses" in the search bar and click on "GO"
  3. If you meet the conditions to be able to claim expenses press “Yes”
  4. To claim employments expenses, you will be asked if you received either the T2200 or T2200s from your employer.
  5. Answer the additional questions for the option you chose, then press continue.
  6. After you complete the questionnaire, select the “Detailed Method”, remember that you need a signed T2200s from your employer to continue.
  7. The "Employment-Related expenses" section should come up and you should be able to enter your amounts where appropriate.

If you are self-employed, you may follow the steps below:

1. On your return on the left-hand side click on "Income", scroll down and click on "self-employment", then click on "business or professional activities".
  2. If you haven't entered any information about your business on your return select "Enter New Business".
  3. After you have done that you will be taken to a page where it says "review your self-employment income and expenses", you then want to click on "business use of home expenses".
  4. Answer the following questions.
  5. Once you are done answering the questions you will then be on a page where you can enter your expenses.

If you are asking about claiming home expenses due to working at home through Covid, you may be interested in our TurboTax articles and FAQ links.

Do you Know You Can Claim $400 In Expenses If you Worked From Home Due to COVID-19?  The federal government continues to support working Canadians during the COVID-19 pandemic. On Nov 30th, 2020, CRA announced that the employment expenses deduction will be available for more employed Canadians.

T777-s Statement of Employment Expenses for Working at Home Due to COVID-19

Employment Expenses Tax Info Centre

If further assistance is needed, please use the following links below:

Where do I claim my employment expenses?

How do I claim home office expenses? 

As we are not sure what all expenses you are mentioning here. You can only write off employment expenses if your employer requires you to spend your own money in the course of the work. ie A builder has a young lad working for him who transports goods and materials to the job site with his own personal vehicle. The employer would give the employee a T2200 Conditions of employment to go with the tax return. The employee would then calculate his mileage traveled for work versus for personal and keep ALL fuel receipts etc for the vehicle. 

There are a few expenses that would not require the T2200 such as police checks or First aid training.

If more assistance is required, we will need more information.  Please contact us in private on Social media so we can help you further. You can find us on Facebook or Twitter

Thank you for contacting TurboTax.

I am a trades person who has travel and tool expenses but i receive a T4.  I need to write off expenses related to vehicle travel, tools, and meals that are not part of my T4.  Where do i capture this?

As a tradesperson To prove you had to buy the tools as a condition of your employment, your employer must complete form T2200, Declaration of Conditions of Employment.

Please check out this TurboTax article which will help you know what you can claim and how. Tax Tip: Tools of the trade deduction