Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot netfile as it says the province of self employment differs from province of res. I moved to BC and I had self empl income years ago but i do not have any now.

10 Replies

I cannot netfile as it says the province of self employment differs from province of res. I moved to BC and I had self empl income years ago but i do not have any now.

You'll need to remove any business information from your return. Use the Find button to search/select the option for Business. Once you reach the Business Summary screen, click the Delete button to the right of any business listed.

Then click Continue and return to the Review section to proceed.

BirdLady1

Go to Info>Personal Tax Profile>

Income & work related expenses - click edit

Look for the check box for Self Employment income and then the drop down menu for province. This is likely where it has carried over the province from a previous year. Even if you do not have self employment income this year, check the box, verify the province is correct. Click continue to save it, then go back in and de-select self employment income. Hope that helps someone out! Namaste.

I had the same problem, Rob. I went to Income > Self-Employment Profile, then checked "Professional, Commission, and/or Other type of business." When I "continued" through, there appeared a phantom business with an income of $0. All I had to do was delete that business, then go back to Income > Self-Employment Profile and uncheck "Professional, Commission, and/or Other type of business" again. Then I just went back to My Info > Get Started to make sure that "I was self-employed" was still unchecked. After that, I stopped getting the error. I hope that helps!

jaelou

I was having the same problem. This worked for me @domhnallach96, thank you so much!

Lisa666

I deleted the business but I still can not file because the business is not in the same province 

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.

bdub2024

I have been on the phone all morning trying to resolve this issue.  Spoke with 3 agents so far, directed them to this article, still have absolutely no help after being on the phone for almost 3 hours!  One guy promised I will get a callback in 24 hours but conveniently didn't note my phone number, smooth.  I don't recognize Intuit anymore, what happened to recruiting people with qualifications and integrity?

I would really appreciate some help to get this issue resolved so I can file my simple tax return that consists of 1 T4!

@bdub2024 If you've entered an amount on T4 slip box 81, 82 or 83, you have what the CRA considers to be self-employment or business income and you will have to fill out the self-employment form.

bdub2024

Not helpful, I don't have any of those boxes on my T4.  This is clearly pulling info from when I had self employment income in Ontario.  Nothing to do with commissions, I went through this with one of the agents, and after 1 hour and it did not help, he told me someone will call me and conveniently forgot to ask for my phone number 🙂 .  Intuit please hire a competent team that is qualified and has an ounce of integrity!