Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
t-antaya

I received my T5008 from CRA , it only shows the proceeds of the sale of stocks, it doesn't include the cost of the purchase, how do I find that or get it included?

3 Replies
chshivi
Returning Member

I received my T5008 from CRA , it only shows the proceeds of the sale of stocks, it doesn't include the cost of the purchase, how do I find that or get it included?

On the T5008, you should make sure that the cost of the stock is shown in Box 20.In case it did not showed in this year in the box 20 ,so you should check your own records for the details of the original purchase of the security and then enter your cost of the securities in Box 20 yourself. Once this information is properly entered, the TurboTax software will automatically calculate the correct capital gain or loss on that security transaction.

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team for further assistance or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.

You would include the amount in box 20 in your T5008. Usually, your broker will fill this for you, but you still need to verify the amount to reflect your true Adjusted Cost Base (ACB). If your broker leaves this box blank, you must still calculate it and report it. You can ask your broker for information regarding your transactions with them.

I hope you will find the information in this link useful. The link explains the T5008 Slip in detail.

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team for further assistance or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.

You can include cost of purchase in Box 20 in your  T5008 slip .