Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blyth88

Self Employment Business Expenses when I review Motor Vehicle Expenses the system placed them in line 9943 net partnership instead of line 9281 what did I do wrong?

1 Reply

Self Employment Business Expenses when I review Motor Vehicle Expenses the system placed them in line 9943 net partnership instead of line 9281 what did I do wrong?

If you are a partner in a business partnership and you incur motor vehicle expenses for the business through the use of your personal vehicle, you can claim those expenses related to the business on "Line 9943 – Other amounts deductible from your share of net partnership income (loss)" by filling in Part 5 of Form T2125, T2042 or T2121.

Line 9281 is for the types of expenses you can claim on "Line 9281 – Motor vehicle expenses (not including CCA)" of form T2125 or form T2121, or line 9819 of Form T2042 include:

• license and registration fees
  • fuel and oil costs
  • insurance
  • interest on money borrowed to buy a motor vehicle
  • maintenance and repairs
  • leasing costs

If you entered your information as being in a partnership and you are not, you will need to go back to the "Income" section of your return and scroll down to self-employment- from there you will verify the pages where you entered your information and you will be able to edit- if you answered that you were in a business partnership.