Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking uber rides can be filed towards taxes as expense or not because I don’t have a car I take uber all the time

I take uber almost everyday so my question is that money I m giving towards uber will be counted as an expense while filing taxes 

5 Replies

Taking uber rides can be filed towards taxes as expense or not because I don’t have a car I take uber all the time

You can include Uber rides as a business expense, so long as you have receipts or some other way of proving that you paid for the amounts that you are claiming. Remember to include only rides that you took to earn business income - no personal use.

Where do you claim the Uber receipts if self employed and use Uber at times to get to work?

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

If you are an Uber driver and is asking how to deduct the Uber ride expenses:

- The Uber rides are included in the income, then included as expenses in your T2125 sheet.

- You need to keep a logbook for all the customer rides. You can claim the gas mileage from the time you accept the ride (not only when you pick up the client) until the time you drop off the client. the Uber receipt and the end of the year will not show this mileage. 

- The first trip of the day to the client's location counts as your ride to work and you are not eligible to deduct it as expenses, so you only count the milage for the client's trip. 

If you are not an Uber driver and want to claim the rides as expenses:

- You have another Business as self-employed and are filing T2125: You need a reasonable expectation to deduct transportation expenses (your work address is different from the residential address, need to meet clients in different locations, need to transport goods personally, etc). 

- You cannot deduct any personal use of Uber rides as expenses.

- You can add the Uber rides in the expenses in the extra box as "other expenses" in the T2125 sheet of your self employed business.  

I hope this was helpful

Where do you claim Uber rides as a business expense in the tax forms? Under what category?

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

Claim it as other expenses