Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Austin7

Entering amount in box 42 on the T3 form (Return of Capital) and adjusting the ACB of REIT units by the return of capital amount. Is this correct.

I am entering box 42 on the T3 form (Return of Capital) but not sure what TurboTax does with this information.  When selling REIT units I am adjusting the ACB by the return of capital amount.  I would like to ensure that the Return of Capital is not being double counted.  What does TurboTax do with the amount entered in box 42 on the T3?  I assume that it is for reference purposes only.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Entering amount in box 42 on the T3 form (Return of Capital) and adjusting the ACB of REIT units by the return of capital amount. Is this correct.

This is correct. You use Return of Capital amounts to calculate ACB.
The amount in box 42 is reported as it is part of your distribution reported on the slip, but Turbotax does not include the amount as either income or a capital gain. It is simply reported.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

This is correct. You use Return of Capital amounts to calculate ACB.
The amount in box 42 is reported as it is part of your distribution reported on the slip, but Turbotax does not include the amount as either income or a capital gain. It is simply reported.
Jamieandcie
Returning Member

How to you report case 42 when the number is negative?

Thanks

If Box 42 has a negative amount, put it in brackets (00). 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.