Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We moved in 2016. I am self-employed/husband is employed but works from home, thus neither of us moved 40km or more closer to work. Can we still claim moving costs?

Since we work from home and haven't, therefore, moved 40km or more closer to our work, is it possible to claim the moving expenses as part of household maintenance (per the square footage we each claim as business-in-home expenses)?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

We moved in 2016. I am self-employed/husband is employed but works from home, thus neither of us moved 40km or more closer to work. Can we still claim moving costs?

Self-Employed can deduct moving expenses from earnings at the new location as long as it was 40km closer to to your market....customers

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns206-236/219/slf-eng.html

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Did your husband change employers? Is the new employer more than 40 km from the first employer?

No new employers for either of us. I am wondering if the costs of moving house though, can be declared as part of business-in-home expenses (under maintenance for example) for the percentage of the costs that are the percentage of your office space in the new home.

Sorry, no luck there. The moving expense credit is directly tied to the need to move to earn income.  Your move was for other reasons and not deductible.

Thanks for the help!

You are welcome. :smile::smile:

Self-Employed can deduct moving expenses from earnings at the new location as long as it was 40km closer to to your market....customers

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns206-236/219/slf-eng.html