Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving expenses - New job Oct 2, 2017. Relocated due to new work and school October 2018. Can we claim the moving expenses?

My new job started on Oct 2, 2017. At the same time, we had to relocate because of the work and the school of the kids (which now were 50km away from old address). However, we were only able to move this past October 2018 due to real estate market since we could not afford anything. We were lucky to find a new job within 40km form new work and 10km from school.

Can I claim moving expenses being that the change in office came way before the move due to the unstable real estate market? I have all paperwork form the lawyers for the sale and selling. I also included appliances installations and moving costs (truck rentals). The move took closing took place a month after we got the new home. I also included extra paid in hydro etc to keep old home afloat until possession. I did not include attachment due to security.

I had my tax return reviewed by an agent and everything seems ok, except this part of the tax return. A thorough reply is appreciated.

1 Reply

Moving expenses - New job Oct 2, 2017. Relocated due to new work and school October 2018. Can we claim the moving expenses?

We're sorry for any inconvenience.  Please use the following FAQ to contact TurboTax Live Assist & Review.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3456106