Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mkalcott

How do I show that a RIF was transferred to my RIF from my late husband's RIF?

7 Replies

Sorry for your loss. Here's how to report this transfer in TurboTax.

When a spouse passes away and their RRSP or RRIF is transferred to the surviving spouse, you should have two tax slips - a T4RSP or a T4RIF showing a withdrawal amount, then a corresponding "Contribution Slip" (or receipt) showing the direct transfer which is exempt due to subparagraph 60(l)(v). Both these slips need to be reported on the tax return of the surviving spouse. 

Report the T4RSP or T4RIF as income (Income > Tax Slips > choose the slip you have then proceed to that screen and enter the corresponding boxes) . The Total Income will reflect the amount of the transfer, but do not worry, this amount will be deducted in the next section to arrive at the Net Income.

Then enter the RRSP or RRIF receipt as an "RRSP Contribution" in the RRSP Profile section. You need to specify on the RRSP Contribution screen that this was a "designated transfer of on eligible income amount".

carnicjohn
Returning Member

Hello

I did receive the contribution receipt but when I enter it it gives me an error as my mother is older than 71.

This sounds like the information was entered as a contribution instead of a transfer. Could you clarify what information slip we are speaking of and who's return it is going on. Are you entering the information on your return or on her return?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

carnicjohn
Returning Member

Hello,

She received a receipt for RRIF after my Dad passed away.  It was his RRIF and it got transferred into a RRIF for her.  Where do I input this receipt?

@carnicjohn Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

carnicjohn
Returning Member

I am using Turbo Tax Download

@carnicjohn Enter the T4RIF on your mother's return and make sure to select that it was received due to spouse's death. Then enter the amount as an RRSP contribution, entering the amount both as a contribution and as a designated transfer of eligible income. This should show as a transfer on the RRSP worksheet (in Forms mode).