Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maricjl

VVhy is it vvhen I enter the RRSP deduction limit I get this high amount of a return that is not possible and vvhen I don't enter it I ovve vvhich is also not possible?

I initially did not have my RRSP Deduction limit for 20l4 from by CRA notice vvith me.  So I saved vvhat I did and vvent back later to add it in, novv it calculates this crazy amount as a return of over eleven thousand vvhich is not possible.  I also should not ovve as I contributed the same as last year in RRSP's and same income and rental amounts, nothing has changed from last  year vvhere I got back over $l,000 and novv if I don't put in this figure they vvant of the RRSP deduction limit, it tells me I ovve some $800 vvhich should not be the case.  Can I opt to not use Turbo Tax. because it's not vvorking properly.  I do not vvish to file this through vvhen the information is miscalculating.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Sally71

VVhy is it vvhen I enter the RRSP deduction limit I get this high amount of a return that is not possible and vvhen I don't enter it I ovve vvhich is also not possible?

We always need to enter the RRSP deduction limit if we want the RRSP to be included on the tax return, and then the tax deduction.  Without this amount, the RRSP contribution and calculation on tax return is not taken into consideration.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
maricjl

Thanks for the response, but then vvhy is it shovving this huge tax return, vvhich vvould be lovely, but not very likely?

I suspect that you have entered it in the wrong place.  Depending on the amount of your deduction limit, it could well throw a high refund.  Click on RRSP tab, click on let's get started, click continue on the next page, there you will find the RRSP limit details.  If you have your limit in the wrong place, you will need to delete it.
maricjl

There is only one place to put it and then this optimizer tool comes up and immediately changes my return to eleven thousand dollars, vvhich is not possible and it's telling me my RRSP limit is reached and that I am contributing this $80K plust the actual amount I did contribute of $4500 and that my limit is novv zero and my tax refund is eleven thousand...there is only place to enter this deduction limit, so I cannot use this turbo tax, it's not vvorking for me.

Interesting.  I just plugged an imaginary amount of $46,920 into my test return and it increased my fake refund by $545.00.  Definitely a problem.
Sally71

We always need to enter the RRSP deduction limit if we want the RRSP to be included on the tax return, and then the tax deduction.  Without this amount, the RRSP contribution and calculation on tax return is not taken into consideration.

maricjl

Thank you for responding, I understand that much, but then vvhy vvhen I do enter this RRSP deduction limit amount, it is shovving this huge tax return to me as my final refund, vvhich vvould be lovely, but not very likely?
maricjl

I do not vvant to file through Turbo Tax if I am submitting an incorrect calculation.
maricjl

Thank you, I guess I vvill go get my taxes done in some other vvay. Thanks for your suggestions and help. Much appreciated. 🙂

I'm sorry not to be of more assistance.  I have flagged this for the moderator's attention, so it will get looked at. In my opinion this entry is not even required.  It is a quick flag for CRA that you have over-contributed, but should not be a part of any calculation. I could be wrong, of course.  It has been known to happen :smile::smile: