Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

How do I submit a Turbotax bug to Intuit?

You are not required to report each individual 1099-NEC for your self-employment income.  As long as Schedule C Line 1 is equal to or more than the sum of all your 1099-NECs, you are good to go!

Per IRS Schedule C instructions:

Enter gross receipts from your trade or business. Be sure to check any Forms 1099 you received for business income that must be reported on this line.

If you received one or more Forms 1099-NEC, be sure line 1 includes amounts properly shown on your Forms 1099-NEC. If the total amounts that were reported in box 1 of Forms 1099-NEC are more than the total you are reporting on line 1, attach a statement explaining the difference.

@john257

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I disagree.  If my wife and I are running separate businesses, it is important that the 1099's be allocated to the appropriate business, as it affects Social Security tax, the amount of expenses that can offset income, etc.  However, I found that if I examine the prior entries, by hitting Edit, I found that the distinction had been lost.  So I could then manually type in the name of the appropriate business, which was then retained.  Thanks for your help.

TT Premier 2021 desktop bugs:

Using the step-by-step method led me to the underpayment penalty calculation before I was given a chance to enter my estimated payments. The process flow in step-by-step is out of order. Payments should come before review, not after. Note I did not use TT in 2020, so no auto data transfer was made. Instead I followed step-by-step prompts to enter the requested 2020 data, and this may be what exposed this issue.

Some of the Online Tax Guidance is obsolete and refers to boxes and lines on the 2020 return that have not existed since 2019 or earlier. For instance look at the Tax Guidance for the Fed Carryover Worksheet, pg2. The boxes and lines referred to do not exist. Someone should proofread all the Tax Guidance in TT and correct these obsolete references.

Entries in the printed version of Maryland 510 do not match entries in the screen version of Maryland 510 in 2021 Turbotax Business edition.

My s-corp has one shareholder. The shareholder is a Maryland resident. The shareholder's K1 has resident checked. Turbotax Business correctly displays the corporation income on line 2 and zero on line 3 of Maryland Form 510 screen form but Turbotax Business reverses these entries in the printed version of Maryland Form 510, which results in zero on line 2 and the correct corporation income on line 3.

I entered the same data in the 2020 Turbotax Business and the displayed form matches the printed form. 

The displayed version of Maryland form 510 should  always match the printed version of Maryland form 510 .

@MichelleLO wrote:

TurboTax Desktop/Download Versions:

1. Open your return.
  2. Click the Online tab in the black bar across the top of TurboTax and select “Send Tax File to Agent”
  3. This will generate a message that a diagnostic copy will be created.  Click on OK and the tax file will be sanitized and transmitted to us.
  4. Please provide the Token Number that was generated in the response.  

@SmartFire

I am using TurboTax 2021 Deluxe for Mac (2021.r20.081 Mar 6, 2022 at 10:59:02 AM) and I can NOT see an “Online tab” or even a “black bar across the top of TurboTax.”

However, under the Help menu (in the Mac menubar) I did find “Send Tax File to TurboTax Agent” and it apparently uploads a “protected copy” of the return and creates a “token number” that is 6-digits long.

Perhaps posting this will help others trying to report bugs.

How do I report a bug in the Maryland s-corp software?

In TT Deluxe 2021 Desktop, I'm getting a bug in the population of 2020 amounts from K-1 forms from my LLCs.  I have 3 LLCs that I need to enter amounts for Box 4a (Guaranteed Payments for Services), for which I had values in my 2020 taxes.  TT prompts me with the historical value for 2020 for Box 4a, which is correct.  However the same amount is also shown in 2020 for Box 4b (Guaranteed Payments for Capital), for which I had zero dollars in 2020 and also 2021.  I have never had a value for Box 4b (Guaranteed Payments for Capital), and this prompt could easily guide the user to enter a value in the current year as well, potentially overstating their income.   I have confirmed in my filed 2020 federal taxes pdf that I had reported zero in 2020 for all K-1's for Box 4b.

This occurred 3 times, for each of my LLC K-1's.  Careful review of my K-1 forms caught this bug in TT.  

Please correct this bug in the software.  I have submitted a sanitized copy of my return and received token number 964417.  I'm happy to help further identify it and if you need my 2020 tax return I can provide that too.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Thank you for bringing this experience to our attention. We will forward this information to our tech support for further investigation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have turbotax business 2020 partnership and with NC State, two bugs

- partnership (2 partners)

- K-1 did not properly reflect the change in ownership on the K-1 though the worksheet is correct, submitted K-1 was 140%

- NC return 

- because of the way TurboTax mis-identified my NC State tax payment, I was given a penalty of $1866.09, that was negotiated down from an initial penalty of over 3K

I agree with you completely.  I also have a bug to report using Turbotax desktop Premier.  They want you to pay to submit a bug so that Turbotax can compute the tax accurately. 

Their ads which feature phrases like "Maximum Refund Guarantee" and "100% Accurate Calculations Guarantee" are FALSE and MISLEADING. 

If all of us with bug reports file complaints with the FTC, maybe we can get some action.

@wnetmw wrote:

I agree with you completely.  I also have a bug to report using Turbotax desktop Premier.  They want you to pay to submit a bug so that Turbotax can compute the tax accurately. 

Their ads which feature phrases like "Maximum Refund Guarantee" and "100% Accurate Calculations Guarantee" are FALSE and MISLEADING. 

If all of us with bug reports file complaints with the FTC, maybe we can get some action.

There is no fee to submit a bug report to customer support.

What is the bug?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@macuser_22   How do you submit the bug?  I tried calling Customer Support and they said I did not pay for live support.

The bug involves state returns.  In my case NJ but I believe it would affect all state returns.

I had transactions in U.S. Treasury Bonds, the sale of which had accrued market discount as reported on my 1099B.  This is correctly reported as interest on the Federal Schedule B.  However, this is NOT taxable in NJ nor I believe in any other state.  Turbotax however reports it in my NJ return as taxable interest. 

I posted screenshots of the forms and a discussion in the following thread.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/bug-reporting/00/2720146 

I would be grateful if you can tell me how I can get the info to Turbotax or if you can find a workaround.

@wnetmw wrote:

@macuser_22   How do you submit the bug?  I tried calling Customer Support and they said I did not pay for live support.

You need to talk to a different agent or supervisor then since TurboTax Live is a separate product for online only and does not apply to desktop versions.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I went down the phone tree to the desktop support and got the same answer.  

I can try again but I was kicked off by the automated attendant before speaking to a live person.

You must be entering it wrong and there is no support until Monday.  It it ask you for what product you have say desktop premier.

There is no single published number because it changes contently depending on the nature of the call and agent availability. Following the link below will either give a current number for you to call or take your number for a callback.

Here is a TurboTax FAQ for contacting customer support.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies