Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-Fill My Return doesn't work. I can log in the CRA website and download the slips, but when it imports, I got the "Oops, we encountered an error" screen.

I can log in the CRA fine, and the progress bar indicidates it can download all the slips.    But it is stuck at "Importing data" for quite some time, then I got the unhelpful "Oops, we encountered an error" screen.
14 Replies

Auto-Fill My Return doesn't work. I can log in the CRA website and download the slips, but when it imports, I got the "Oops, we encountered an error" screen.

Before you begin, register for My Account.

If you’d like to use CRA’s Auto-fill my return service to automatically fill out part of your tax return, you need to be registered for the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)’s My Account

Please follow the steps below to know how to use the CRA's Auto-fill my return services:

1. Select Find in TurboTax.
    Note: If you don’t see the Find button, you may not have completed the Setting up a section of your return. Continue through the Setting up section until the Find button appears.
  2. In the Find window, type Auto-Fill.
  3. From the list of search results, select Auto-Fill My Return, then select Go.
  4. On the Name, get a jump start on your tax return step, select Continue.
  5. On the Let’s import your info step, select Launch CRA site.
  6. Follow the steps to download your slips and other information.

Or you can watch a video by following this link How do I use Auto-fill my return? 

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.

Thank you for using TurboTax.

The real problem is Turbo tax can only download up to 40 T-slips from the CRA website.  I have over 200 T-slips.

The error message is totally misleading.

It should just say there are too many T-slips, so Turbo tax just roll over and die.

gijoe2

Were you able to resolve this issue? Receiving something similar and I wonder if my 179 T-slips are the cause.

Any update on this?  I'm having the same issue.  I read that TurboTax has a 200 T slip limit.  I have 171.  I'm assuming it can't handle that many.  Unfortunately, it's an all or nothing download I guess.  It fails and doesn't even do a partial download.  So now I'm starting the process of manually entering 171 slips!  Any other better solutions?

I’ve been having the same problem the past few days April 8-10. I’ve spoken to customer support twice with no resolution. I’m surprised TurboTax isn’t monitoring this site and responding. Time to try another software provider? 

Yes, TurboTax does have a limit on how many t-slips can be imported that is less than the amount that the CRA supports. There's also a limit per slip type, so if you have a lot of T5008 slips, that is likely why you are not able to Auto-Fill. 

I have passed on your comments & suggestions to our product development team, however, it's unlikely that a change to the system will be made for this tax season.

Thank you all for your input.

Dan159

This issue still exists 5 years later. Yes, it's the 5008s, but this should have been an easy problem to solve. 

Or knowing the problem, you could ask for an aggregate capital gains/loss assuming the user has done their own calculation. 

@Dan159 Yes, that is a work around that you can use.

I have ther CD ffor 2023

The autofill features are disabled ...not on the cover but while using software. greyed out. I use this feature every year

I have spent an hour trying to get anyone ...no luck