Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I initiate a turbotax return fora friend who has no computer and no email address?

3 Replies

Can I initiate a turbotax return fora friend who has no computer and no email address?

Yes, you can.

Unfortunately 'yes' is only part of the answer I was searching for. HOW to do it is just as important. When I try to start a new return, I am asked to complete the e-mail address. There isn't one, so I am dead in the water. I need directions to take me to a blank return where I can start filling in taxpayer's info.

If you are trying to create a new TurboTax account to start a TurboTax Online return, then yes you will need an email address. If you use an existing account (such as your own), then the actual tax return doesn't require an email address. 

Unlike TurboTax Online, TurboTax CD/Download (for Windows) doesn't require an account if you buy a copy from a retailer such as Walmart or Costco. But you must pay for the software, whereas TurboTax Online is free for certain types of returns.

There are also ways of getting a free email account, which your friend could use for other things, like getting a CRA My Account, a Service Canada account etc...