Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot proceed with claiming staycation credit without entering HST#

Staycation credit details on government site only stipulate that HST must be shown as paid, not that an HST# is required from the facility booked, however I am unable to proceed with completing my return without entering an HST# (which in this case is not applicable/available).
4 Replies

this is the error that comes up during review:

"Heather: You can only claim the Staycation Tax Credit provided the short-term accommodation or supplier is HST Registrant. Please review."

Gov't site reads:

"

As long as all other conditions are met, you can claim any of the following expenses:

• accommodation for a single trip or multiple trips, up to the maximum expense limit of $1,000 as an individual or $2,000 as a family
  • accommodations booked either directly with the accommodation provider or through an online accommodation platform
  • the portion of the expense that is necessary to have access to the accommodation
  • the accommodation portion of a tour package expense

You must keep your detailed receipts for any eligible expenses you claim for the credit. Those receipts must include:

• the location of the accommodation
  • the amount that can reasonably be considered to be for the accommodation portion of a stay
  • the amount of any GST/HST paid
  • the date of the stay
  • the name of the payor"

I am certain Airbnb is a registered business, however they have advised they "do not have access" to the HST number specifically, and same with the host - I keep getting passed back & forth between the two.  If the Airbnb host is not obligated to provide their HST#, does that mean I am overall unable to claim this credit for that reason, even though I can clearly prove HST payment?

Unfortunately, if you can't get the GST/HST number, then you can't claim the Staycation credit. The credit is only available on amounts where GST/HST has been paid, and the GST/HST is the proof of that.

cdc1505

I am trying to enter the On staycation credit. 

I enter the dates , the name of the facility , the HST # and the amount. I get an error message related to the HST # telling me to round up.  I cant proceed until I fix this . If i take the HST # out , it allows me to proceed , but then the credit wont be accepted as an HST # is required. I am using Standard

@cdc1505 Enter the number without the RT, or fill out the ON479 worksheet in Forms mode.