Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pops1

CCA calculation - UCC start of year incorrect

I've been using Turbotax for years.  My spouse and I are co-owners of 2 rental properties.  Due to our different tax situations, in some past years we have claimed different CCA amounts for the tax year.  This means our Undepreciated Capital Cost (UCC) balances are NOT the same.  We started this in 2015. This year I was doing a 'take CCA or not' analysis and when documenting our CCA history, noticed Turbotax incorrectly captured UUC  opening balance in prior years. 

For 2016 Turbotax correctly carried forward the unique balances to each of our returns. We again used different CCA deductions for our respective returns in 2016.  However, the UUC balance used to start 2017 was set to the same value for both of us - my wife's being correct and mine set to same as hers rather than bringing forward the correct amount from the prior year reflecting my different CCA amounts.

Example:

SelfSpouse  
2015UCC100100  
 CCA34  
2016UCC9796  
 CCA24  
2017UCC9292  

Note: 'Self' 2017 UCC should be 95, but Turbotax reported as 92

Is this a bug?  Did I do something incorrect? How do I make things right?

1 Reply
TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

CCA calculation - UCC start of year incorrect

This needs more sharing of your personal data. At any given year, you are allowed to you the portion of the CCA that eliminates your expenses but not to bring them to a negative amount. This could be one of the reasons why the software changed the preferred value you chose.

For questions for which personal information must be exchanged, you can contact us by phone or private message on our Facebook and Twitter social networks. 

We also offer tax expert services as needed. 

Thanks in advance for your understanding,