Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwu565
Returning Member

CWB applied incorrectly

I have the same issue. How did you fix it?

CWB applied incorrectly

Just a disclosure that I am also one of the TT product expert. From what I found is that in our TurboTax desktop software if you missed to answer correctly all questions pertaining to being Eligible for CWB initially including the question where it asks if you and your spouse were cohabiting on MM DD, YYYY it will by default consider you are eligible for CWB.

Now when later if you go and select that you have been living together for example the refund amount will drop since it will remove CWB as your overall household income will be higher as combined. You can verify this by going and checking under schedule 6 under forms method or go to line 45300 you should see the CWB being claimed is 0 regardless if your choice selection of Yes for CWB( that stay as is since how it was selected ) but the FACT is there is no amount or 0 amount is being claimed under CWB so you do not have to change the tick box anymore.

CWB applied incorrectly

Still happening this year 2023 - if you use easystep it does not ask you the correct questions to complete the CWB form correctly,  you have to go into the forms and force the correct answers.  This was supposed to be EasyStep and make things easy … NOT!  Please get this corrected!!!! Previous username mitznewman and I reported this for the 2021 tax year and still not corrected. 

CWB applied incorrectly

Can you please try again today as there was an update done?

mhambly1465
Returning Member

CWB applied incorrectly

I have the exact same issue. How many people are being duped by this? I can't turn off the claim, either through "Easy Step" (there's a misnomer if ever there was one) and Forms i.e., Schedule 6. Turn off claim for one spouse, the claim automatically goes to the other, and vice-versa. $1,600 down by "claiming" CWB. How is that even possible? Refund should increase if eligible or, stay the same if not. Back to U-File I think. And why should I now have to use a telephone (is support free - there is certainly no support from TurboTax on this forum) to attempt to solve this? There are many, many others experiencing this. 

mhambly1465
Returning Member

CWB applied incorrectly

In my case both myself and my spouse, as separate entities, exceed the income requirements for CWB and also, as a co-habiting couple are household income exceeds the limit of eligibility. So, why does my refund drop when co-habiting is on?

CWB applied incorrectly

This is the answer. I had a sneaking suspicion this was the case and verified it a few weeks ago. Thanks for the help! It might be best if Intuit doesn't apply it automatically at the beginning, as its confusing a lot of folks. 

CWB applied incorrectly

If a tuition is being claimed, the software would remove the CWB if it was applied, as students are not eligible. In this case the CWB should not have been applied at all in the first place. Entering the                co-habitating can also indicate to a different credit that the joint household income is higher and remove thus credit. 
In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email say NO then say "speak to a representative" then hold the line. If the situation is not resolved, please ask for an escalation so an investigation can be done.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.