Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dates claiming medical expenses defaulting to 2023

On the Medical Expense Claim page I have put in the dates that I want to claim the medical expenses. I then press continue and go on to the next page. If I end up going back to the Medical Expense Claim page I see that the dates have changed to only cover 2023. How do I get the claim period dates that I choose to remain and not default to just 2023?

8 Replies

Under "Your Medical Profile for 2023" did you select that you have medical expenses for both 2022 and 2023? And are all medical expenses that you claim within 12-month period?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Yes I have checked off year 2022 and year 2023 for both the husband and wife and it still defaults to only the year 2023.  All receipts are within a 12 month period.

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email say NO then say "speak to a representative" then hold the line.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I contacted Turbo Tax and they were unable to help me.  I was told they could not do anything.  They agreed that it was an online product  problem and couldn't do anything about it.  

We have tried to duplicate the issue here and have had no problem whether we put dates of 01/10/2022 to 30/09/2023 or 12/10/2022 to 11/09/2023. Please call them again for help as they can view your screen. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email say NO then say "speak to a representative" then hold the line. If you do not find resolution please ask for an escalation to begin an investigation.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Exactly the same issue here, extremely frustrating!

Same situation: spousal return (I use premier online version).

No error message or explanation after I enter dates (e.g. 01/09/2022 to 31/08/2023, but I tried others) and it reverts to the default each time.

I did add checkboxes for 2022 under the medical expense profile, but this does not seem to change a thing.

When you try to recreate the error, please be sure to try with spousal return on premier online.

We have been unable to recreate this scenario. In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email say NO then say "speak to a representative" then hold the line. If a resolution is not reached please make sure it is escalated and investigated to reach one.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

OK, escalation took more than 1 hour on the phone, but it did resolve the issue. For anyone else in the same boat:

1) I think CRA does not actually receive those turbotax forms that include the date range, so in some sense this does not matter. (This was my own conclusion.)

2) I made a mistake on turbotax: each claim has a date field, which by default was 12/31/2023. Once I started to put at least one claim to 2022, suddenly I could choose a different claim period! (This did NOT work when all the claims were in early 2023, for some reason.)

3) There are definitely bugs in the turbotax program: it should be possible to choose the claim period independent of the claim dates, but there should be a warning then. Even worse: even once I could change the claim period, one of my claims accidentally was outside of the period and my deduction suddenly decreased. Without warning!