Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dependants income

Hi. I have an 20 year old daughter who does her own taxes and a 16 year old who will doing his taxes for the first time this year.  Do i need to enter their income information when i do mine, or can i just put 0 for their income and bypass it? Any help would be appreciated.

5 Replies

Dependants income

You’ll need to add your children’s income (as well as their SIN & other info) in Deductions>Additional Dependant Information in order to properly calculate any dependant credits you are applying for. If the children are submitting tax returns, then you should get the Net Income from their returns. If you don’t put the correct income amounts, then you may get credit amounts that you are not entitled to, and you’ll have to pay them back when the CRA looks at your families’ returns.

Dependants income

I have a similar question - wanting to file all dependent university children under one account, but can't bypass the dependents' income screen for our returns without their info. But the program is set up to calculate OUR returns first, so I don't yet have theirs calculated. 

Dependants income

If your children are in college and/or working you should complete an income tax return for each of them. This will help them get credits that they are entitled to receive. Once theirs is completed then you can do your spousal return and add the income your children had. 

Dependants income

Oh I understand they need to file- but apparently I must complete theirs before ours in order to advance past the dependents screen? Frustrating. I can go no further without their return info but I want to file all under the same account.

Dependants income

If you are using TurboTax Online- just save your return. Then start a new return- and do one child at a time- then once completed you can go to your return and continue. 

This is a great resource about children in college/university

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/family-education/help/how-much-of-my-child-s-or-spous...