Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dependents

Does it matter which child I claim as a dependent? My teenage daughter has a part time job. She only made $8000, but there is a $2000 difference in my return depending on which child I claim. I get more back if I claim my younger son. That’s a huge difference.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Dependents

To clarify,

• You need to enter both children as dependants. 
  • You can only claim one child for the Eligible Dependant Amount (EDA) if you were a single parent at some point during the year.
  • As any income earned by the child affects the amount you are claiming for the EDA, it is advisable to claim the child with lower income (or none).
  • The only credit or benefit affected by the child's income is the Eligible Dependant Amount itself. This will have an effect on the bottom line of your tax return only, and that is why choosing to claim your younger son is recommended. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Dependents

You claim both your children as dependents, as they both live with you. Your daughter earning an income will affect your tax return no matter what. Her income is added to the total family income, which is why you see a difference in your refund.

As for the eligible dependent credit, review the link provided below for more detailed information:

Dependents

Thanks for your response, but it’s confusing and contradicts the link you added below. I know I am to list both children as dependents,  but I can only claim one child no matter how many I have. If I claim my daughter, her income effects me. If I claim my son, my daughter’s income does not impact my return.  

Dependents

To clarify,

• You need to enter both children as dependants. 
  • You can only claim one child for the Eligible Dependant Amount (EDA) if you were a single parent at some point during the year.
  • As any income earned by the child affects the amount you are claiming for the EDA, it is advisable to claim the child with lower income (or none).
  • The only credit or benefit affected by the child's income is the Eligible Dependant Amount itself. This will have an effect on the bottom line of your tax return only, and that is why choosing to claim your younger son is recommended.