Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ssll
Level 2

Disability Tax Credit

CRA approved me to claim the disability tax credit for our child, however when i input all the fields to claim the credit, it states:

Note: We will automatically claim the disability amount transferred from your dependant on the spouse with the highest income (after deductions). If that person is not the current designated transfer recipient, you will need to update your records with the CRA.

My question is, i cannot have it claimed to my spouse as i am only approved to claim it with CRA, how do i move it from my spouse to me, although he has the higher income.

2 Replies

Disability Tax Credit

Unfortunately, if you are using TurboTax Online, there is no way to change who gets the Disability transfer from a dependant. You can file the returns without the transfer and submit an adjustment to add the transfer later. Or redo the returns separately, so you can put the transfer on the right return without the software moving it to the wrong spouse.

ssll
Level 2

Disability Tax Credit

this must be a change as last year this didn't happen, we've always filed together.

there are 2 spots to enter it:

1) does you child have a disability: Yes

2) do you want to claim it: yes, then it goes to higher income

3) then it states, is this seperate from the DTC? if i say yes spouse 1 which is me is approved to claim disability having a T2201 approved.

Disability Amount

If you had a severe mental or physical impairment in 2023, you may be able to claim the disability amount.
Does (Spouse 1) qualify for the claim and have an approved T2201 (Disability Tax Credit Certificate) on file with the CRA?

Does (Spouse 2)qualify for the claim and have an approved T2201 (Disability Tax Credit Certificate) on file with the CRA?