Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
English EN

Pick a language

Canada Français United States of America English
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Disability tax credit

Filing taxes for my parents and brother (over 18 - disabled dependent) 


I filed for my brother first and it would not give me the option to transfer the credit to my parents and therefore the whole amount was claimed on this return.


I tried to override line 316000 with a zero as well as the DTC calc but it would not let me submit through efile. Any tips? We are using the CD software version. 

1 Reply
Level 6

Disability tax credit

Thank you for your question. To claim the disability tax credit, you must first have an approved DTC application (form T2201) on file with the CRA, completed by both the person claiming the credit and a medical professional. If you’re transferring the credit from your dependant, Section 4 of the form must also be signed by the person with the disability.

To enter this information into TurboTax, select from one of the following options:

CD/Download versions of TurboTax

Before claiming any disability tax credit amounts, you’ll need to make sure that you have already entered a dependant in your return profile.

Once this has been completed, use the following steps to transfer your disability tax credit(s):

  1. Select the magnifying glass icon (or Find), then type Claims for Dependants and select Go.
  2. On the Claims for Dependants step, answer Yes, then select Continue.
  3. Select the dependant whose disability amount you want to transfer, then select Enter Dependant Credits.
  4. On the Claim Dependant Credits step, check Disability amount transfer and select Continue.
  5. Complete the Disability Transfer step and select Continue.


TurboTax will then automatically calculate the amount your dependant can transfer based on the income and other info you entered, deducting this amount from your balance owing (if applicable).
You’ll find the calculated amount on your Dependant Credit Summary.

Also read this FAQ.