Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download Tax File From Online Version for CD Version

For years I have used the CD/Download version of Turbo Tax but 2 years ago I switched to a Mac and had no choice but use the online version even though I didn't like it nearly as much as the CD version. I now have a windows machine again so I installed the CD/download version. I'm ready to start my tax preparations and I need to know how to start my return using the information from last year

s return which was done in the online version.  Please provide instructions for how I can do that.

4 Replies

Unfortunately, the information from TurboTax Online cannot be transferred into TurboTax CD/Download.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

GabeD1

I have an issue in finding my 2022 tax return ".tax" download.

Can you direct me in finding this file for download, so i can import it into my turbotax 2023 CD version.

GabeD1

I will require my information, as it belongs to me legally.

You must surrender that to me, as i will require that version to complete my 2023 taxes.

Please contact me so we can arrange you sending me a copy of my 2023 tax return in the original .tax format.

Please contact me via email: [email address removed].

There is no .tax file. The .tax format was used in the early days of NETFILE when you had to submit your tax return yourself to the CRA, and was discontinued when the CRA allowed software to directly transmit files to them. No modern version of TurboTax can make or read a .tax file.

However, you can still get a PDF copy of your TurboTax Online return. This FAQ shows you how: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/turbotax-support/en-ca/help-article/taxation/find-copy-filed-re...

As TurboTaxGinette said above, the information from TurboTax Online cannot be transferred into TurboTax CD/Download.