Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NKatz5
Returning Member

DTC and Caregiver Amount - Programming Error

My son is over 18 and has a DTC, but is not infirm.  His income was only $4500 so I will claim the disability amount on my husband's return.  The program is automatically giving me the federal and provincial caregiver amount credits which we don't qualify for.  I've answered NO to all the dependent questions related to this tax credit, but the credits are still there.  How do I eliminate the Caregiver credits (federal and provincial (BC)). I saw this issue in 2021 and it required override which made the return ineligible for Netfile. Is that still a problem? help! 

6 Replies

Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

NKatz5
Returning Member

NKatz5
Returning Member

Susan?! Can you help? Is there a more effective way to communicate about this?

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email say NO then say "speak to a representative" then hold the line. If a resolution is not found, please ask for an escalation and investigation to clear this issue.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

NKatz5
Returning Member

Actually, I think I figured it out.  You have to actually select/go into the Caregiver Amount in the dependent credit transfer section - and specifically select that the person with the disabiltiy is NOT infirm. 

You guys should be able to solve this problem. That was disappointing customer service that wasted a lot of my time. Note for next years program to not add the Caregiver amount if the box is not checked. 

Thank you for the update and feedback.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.