Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ihatetaxes11
Returning Member

Education Property Tax Credit - MB

On the Provincial Tax Credit Profile (MB), I entered my property tax info into the "Education Property Tax Credit Summary" but it did not affect my return.

I did not receive the advance credit this year and should be getting a $350 credit on my taxes (Form MB479).

How can I can enter this info. to receive the credit? Thanks!

21 Replies

Please see our TurboTax FAQ to help you: How do I claim the Manitoba education property tax credit?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

ihatetaxes11
Returning Member

I did enter the info as prescribed but that didn't solve my issue. There is nowhere to indicate that I did not receive the advance payment and the credit is not showing up despite having entered property taxes paid.

If you are eligible for the Manitoba Education Property Tax Credit, claim the credit by entering your rent and/or property taxes in the provincial section of your return.

As per the Province of Manitoba, rebates are sent out in the month before municipal taxes are due. When you get to the review section, TurboTax will show you warnings. In there, they will advise you where to go if you forget to enter any information for your credit 

For more information:

Manitoba Government Inquiry
204-945-3744
1-866-MANITOBA
(1-866-626-4862)

ihatetaxes11
Returning Member

1) I am eligible.

2) I entered my property taxes in the provincial section of my return.

3) I did not get the advance payment (new home owners as of 2022 and did not self-declare in time in 2023).

4) There are no warnings re: the EPTC.

I didn't see a place to input that we didn't receive the EPTC advance. How do I enter that info? Thank you.

Are you using TurboTax Online or TurboTax Desktop/Download?

ihatetaxes11
Returning Member

I'm using the online version. Thanks!

In the process of doing my own Manitoba return the reason for your issue was found. As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and the What's new to taxes this year? section in the return the note says: "Taxpayers no longer need to apply for advanced CWB payments. The CRA will automatically send them to eligible taxpayers based on their prior year tax return."

This is the reason the Advanced Canada Workers Benefit (CWB) payments cannot be found in the return.

As per not receiving the ACWB previously you will need to reach out to the:

204-945-3744
1-866-MANITOBA
(1-866-626-4862)

ihatetaxes11
Returning Member

HI again, I'm not concerned with CWB payments.

My issue is that when I input my property taxes, I'm not receiving the Education Property Tax Credit. 

As per https://www.gov.mb.ca/finance/tao/eptc.html:

The process that allows new or first time homeowners who are eligible to apply the basic $350.00 EPTC to the property tax statement as an advance for their principal residence has been streamlined, reducing costs for Manitobans and the province. ...

• Homeowners who notify their municipality before the printing of the municipal property tax statement for the year will have the credit applied starting in that year.
  • Homeowners who notify their municipality after the printing of the municipal property tax statement for the year may claim the credit on their personal income tax return for that year and will receive the credit on their property tax statement in subsequent years.

The Note as seen in the image below is in fact about the Advanced CWB. As the webpage you are looking at may not be updated yet, please contact:

204-945-3744
1-866-MANITOBA
(1-866-626-4862)