Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ihatetaxes11
Returning Member

Education Property Tax Credit - MB

But my question has nothing to do with CWB payments... 

For further information, please call 

Manitoba Government Inquiry
204-945-3744
1-866-MANITOBA
(1-866-626-4862)

Thank you

ihatetaxes11
Returning Member

This is a Turbo Tax problem though... In my initial question, I mentioned the MB form that applies. 

I want to know how I can claim it on my taxes using TurboTax.

If TurboTax doesn't give me the option of claiming this credit, I will need to use another tax software program.

Thank you for your patience. We have completed a TurboTax Online return to assist. Please note that the Education Property Tax Credit, once claimed, will be added as part of your refund on your tax return.

We have added the following screenshots to assist you:

We hope this helps. Do not hesitate to reach out to us if you have more questions.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

ihatetaxes11
Returning Member

Thanks for assisting me.

The Manitoba School Tax Credit (in the screenshots above) is distinct from the Education Property Tax Credit, and I don't qualify for that.

The Education Property Tax Credit is the second checkmark on the list in your first screenshot. 

Here is the info that you fill out:

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 2.51.50 PM.png

There is no field asking if I already got the advance payment. And the $350 credit I should receive is not showing up on my provincial summary.

We will review it and get back to you. Thank you for your patience. 

ihatetaxes11
Returning Member

I should note that the initial TurboTax link provided about the EPTC contains incorrect information. It says:

"You're disqualified if:

• You were 65 years of age or older at the end of the year.
  • Your family income was more than $40,000."

I contacted the city's taxation and assessment department to ask if there is a $40,000 household income limit for the EPTC as mentioned on your website, since I did not see that in any government documentation.

I just heard back and was informed, "If you have not received the EPTC on previous years’ property tax bills, you will need to claim the tax credit on your income tax return.  Contact Canada Revenue for questions on how to claim. The credit is not based on income but rather the amount of school taxes."

That being said, when I enter my property tax info in TurboTax, it doesn't give me the credit even if I edit household income to be below 40k. I'm not sure if there are programming errors at play.

Sorry for the delay- they have gotten back to me with this: 

The Education Property Tax Credit Advanced will be adjusted from a maximum of $437.50 in 2022 to a $350 in 2023. Along with the school tax rebate, this ensures that all homeowners, regardless of whether  or not they have received the Education Property Tax Credit Advance, will see a 50% reduction in Net education property tax paid. 

Therefore you do not need to enter anything about advance paid or not. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

donmal

the turbotax program will not let me enter anything.  I have received the rebate, answered yes, will not accept any amount i try to enter.  tried on easy step and in forms.  

@donmal Please try reinstalling TurboTax using the download from our website.  You can download the current version of TurboTax CD/download edition here:  Choose the 2023 TurboTax edition you need (for Windows). If you are still not able to resolve this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.