Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Employee Expense working from home Re Covid

I keep getting the following Error review but I cannot find out how to bypass it:

"Specify the employment income you want to claim employment expenses on for working at home due to COVID-19. This can be done by selecting ‘yes’ to transferring employment..."

I have selected the flat return and selected yes  to: Will you claim employment expenses for working at home due to COVID-19 for income on this T4?"

But I keep getting the error. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hey E, 

Thanks for this

"had to request for a refund for the previous payment"- what was the previous payment? Do you recall what section this was in?

View solution in original post

8 Replies
EhsanKhan
Returning Member

I am also getting the same error. dont know how to fix it

Ya and I spoke with an expert on Saturday, they couldn't figure it out so we skipped it. I ended the session and went to file, you cannot file online so long as that error is there. So if anyone has any ideas or finds a way to remove the error, would love to hear from you. 

I spent $50 to speak with an agent only to not have a resolution, not thrilled.

EhsanKhan
Returning Member

Thanks! So I found the fix. I had to redo my tax returns from the scratch (like a new return) and had to request for a refund for the previous payment. I think that is a online software issue. Although the agent told me to pay like $60 to speak to someone but why should I pay? anyway happy that the work around worked! Also, when you import the T4 slips from CRA, you have to click on the individual slip and select the option that you will be claiming covid expenses for this employment (that is right at the bottom of the slip). 

Dont forget to ask for the refund for the previous payment as the new return will trigger new payment. 

Hope it helps! 🙂

Thanks

E

Hey E, 

Thanks for this

"had to request for a refund for the previous payment"- what was the previous payment? Do you recall what section this was in?

EhsanKhan
Returning Member

In my case, I got the error when I paid for the tax filling for my first return and the tool was giving error despite fixing it and was unable to finalize my first return.  After the redo from the stretch (creating a new return)  resulted in a 2nd payment therefore had to ask for a refund for my first payment. 

Hope it helps! 🙂 

E

gfddgfgfd

Same bug here... I guess I will redo it again and repay again. I won't use Turbotax next year, that's for sure...

@gfddgfgfd Go to your T4 and make sure you have answered "YES" to the question "Will you claim employment expenses for working at home due to COVID-19 for income on this T4?".

Also make sure that you have only filled out information for the T777 or the T777s.

If you are still not able to resolve this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.

zhussain7

This bug sucks! I would for sure not use TurboTax next year...