Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Employment Expense Section

Trying to claim my employment expense - flat rate of $2.00/day.  When I click on No form but would like to claim home office expense and Worked from home 50% ...... I get a message "Looks like you don't qualify for the employment expense deduction this year"  I do quality - this section seems to not be working 

2 Replies

To correct your situation, you would have to say YES instead of saying NO on the right screen after you have entered Employment Expenses as described below.

For more information, please follow these steps:

For the flat rate method to be activated in TurboTax, you enter your T4 and scroll down to the bottom where you will be asked: Will you claim employment expenses for working at home due to COVID-19 for income on this T4? NEW!  You will then click on Employment Expenses found lower in the menu on the left side of the screen to then answer yes on the right screen. On the Employment Expenses Profile page, check the option: I didn't receive either form from my employer. On the next screen Check the flat rate method and enter the number of days you worked from home.

You have now used the flat rate method to claim employment expenses.

For more information, please follow these links 

How do I claim home office expenses? 

Am I eligible to claim employment expenses due to COVID-19? 

Employment Expenses Tax Info Centre  

Thank you for using TurboTax

Im using Premier.  Your solution does not work  I have entered the T4 and there is no question at the bottom asking about claiming employment expenses. I have answered YES under Personal Tax profile and checked the box "I had employment expenses......"    Under the Employment Expenses I have checked the box that says "I have incurred expenses for the purposes of earning employment income"  When I get to the Employment Expense Profile - that is where I get the message that says I do not qualify.  It will not take me to the next screen to check the flat rate method.