Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when trying to file to Netfile

I am getting this message to fix before it will let me file. 

Specify the employment income you want to claim employment expenses on for working at home due to COVID-19. This can be done by selecting ‘yes’ to transferring employment income to form T777S in the applicable T4 slip.

I work from home (not due to Covid) so I should not have a T777S, but a T777 and I stated "No" on the T4 that I would be claiming expenses due to Covid. 

When I went in and selected "Yes" I received this message when trying to file:

You've completed employment expenses for working at home but selected to transfer income to the form for working from home due to COVID-19. To claim the employment expenses you entered, you'll need to go to your T4 slip and select 'no' to the question about claiming expenses for working from home due to COVID-19. 

So what is the problem? 

6 Replies

I tried everything, and I paid for this as it made me upgrade (not sure why as I never needed to before)  and now I have given up and printed my taxes and sent them in the mail. Not happy with this glitch! :(

Getting the same error with seemingly no way to resolve. Very unimpressed  with the service since there is no way to report the issue that I can find.

@nathanpetruska Go to your T4 and make sure you have answered "YES" to the question "Will you claim employment expenses for working at home due to COVID-19 for income on this T4?".

Also make sure that you have only filled out information for the T777 or the T777s.

If you are still not able to resolve this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.

zhussain7

This does not help. This product indeed has a bug. Even after we said yes, this error does not go away. This product limits me from claiming work from expenses using the flat rate method. Pathetic service...

DiannaS

You've completed employment expenses for working at home but selected to transfer income to the form for working from home due to COVID-19. To claim the employment expenses you entered, you'll need to go to your T4 slip and select 'no' to the question about claiming expenses for working from home due to COVID-19. 

How do I fix this? I have no employment income 

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help you. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When the system asks if you want an email say NO to speak to a representative.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.