Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavB

Filing a joint return

We used a CD download for Windows to file a joint return previously for many years. My Dell laptop is sick!

I want to switch to my MacBook air and cannot get a clear answer about whether it is possible to file online or as a download for the price of one return [as we could do on Windows]

It is also not clear whether it can even be done jointly. This needs to be clearer in the web pages.

As a separate issue it would help if the phone support person did not have such a pronounced accent which I had trouble understanding.

1 Reply

Filing a joint return

TurboTax CD/Download will only work on computers running Windows 10 or 11.

TurboTax Online will work on any device that has an up-to-date browser such as Chrome, Edge, Firefox or Safari. You can use it to prepare your returns together with your spouse’s. Normally you are charged per return (yours and spouses return would be two returns). However, some retailers (Costco, Walmart, Staples, etc…) sell multi-return packages for TurboTax Online. 

Please note that there is no Forms mode in TurboTax Online, you will only have the Easy Step Interview. Also, if you buy a multi-return package, you will still need to pay the difference for any upgrades or add-ons to your returns.