Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lschira1

How do I enter employment expenses? it says " Zero rated & exempt" or hst and gst fields

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I enter employment expenses? it says " Zero rated & exempt" or hst and gst fields

If you're not registered as part of the GST/HST program in relation to your employment, you can list the employment expenses as zero-rated/exempt.

If you personally have a registered GST/HST number associated with your employment, you would list your expenses in the GST or HST column.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you're not registered as part of the GST/HST program in relation to your employment, you can list the employment expenses as zero-rated/exempt.

If you personally have a registered GST/HST number associated with your employment, you would list your expenses in the GST or HST column.

Oneka

What does this mean?
"If you're not registered as part of the GST/HST program in relation to your employment"?

For those who work for a major non-profit/charity organization, do we fill out the "zero-rated and exempt" field?

@Oneka Your employer needs to be registered to collect GST/HST for you to be able to claim the GST370 Employee and Partner GST/HST Rebate.

You would enter your expenses based on what sales tax you paid on it. If the expense was either exempt from tax or zero-rated, then you can enter your amount in that column.