Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am from NS & paid 4822$ in tools. Under Tradespersons tools expense, there are 3 columns (GST, HST, Zero rated), which column do i enter this in? Or do i put in all?

I am unsure if this amount is only supposed to be in GST, HST or Zero rated field, or more than one field.
5 Replies

I am from NS & paid 4822$ in tools. Under Tradespersons tools expense, there are 3 columns (GST, HST, Zero rated), which column do i enter this in? Or do i put in all?

The receipts should say which sales tax you paid on them, but as you are from Nova Scotia, it's likely you paid HST on your tools. If that is the case, you would enter your tool expenses in the HST column. 

Hi, so the field on the total invoice says GST/HST/TPS and the total paid. It doesn't say anything else so are you saying to put it under the HST field only?

Yes that is what you do if you only paid HST.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

In Nova Scotia, we pay 10% GST and 5% HST. Both were paid. That is why I am asking for clarification and I am still not getting a clear answer. Where I paid both HST and GST, am I supposed to put the total purchased for tools in both the HST and GST field. 

According to this Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) webpage, Nova Scotia has 15% HST: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/gst-hst-businesses/charge-col...

So please enter your amounts in the HST column.